Frantaglais blah-blah...

Why Frantaglais? Well, I came up with this title as my posts, from time to time, will be en français (in French), en anglais (in English), and/or en Tagalog, my mother tongue. In any case, you find my writing weak, just bear with me please or leave. This is my blog after all. No one forces you to read it.

samedi, janvier 01, 2005

La galette and moi

La galette des rois (a Twelfth Night cake/pastry). In France, it has become a tradition to have or share a piece of it with your family or friends. Also known as a King's cake and originally served only on January 6 (the twelfth day after Christmas), hence, the end of the holiday season. I never heard of someone in my entourage that bothers to bake this. Eversince, the cake is being bought from the supermarket and/or a boulangerie. The pastry's recipe may vary from country to country but the most popular in France is the frangipane (almond-flavoured) and an ingredient far from ordinary that makes the happening interesting is the fève, a trinket (people here usually use ceramic statuettes) or a bean that is baked inside the pastry. And whoever finds it becomes the queen or king of the party and that's why it always comes with a cardboard-made crown.

feve
one of those ceramic statuettes

But since the pastry is often already available in the supermarkets long before Christmas, people don't bother to wait. They could have it whenever they want. It just doesn't make sense, huh?

Just like today, I'm home alone. The Green Giant and the kids just left, for his aunt has invited us to a Twelfth Night cake party (I don't get it, it's only the 7th day after x-mas). Ok, whatever. Well, it's not really a big one, just a little get-together minus the costumes of course (in some countries people dress up in outrageous costumes). Well, I didn't go with them for I'm not feeling well (yes, again). I'm not in the mood to party. It's my migraine. The cacophony of children's and adults' voices would only aggravate the pain. So here I am, tranquil, talking with my lover Mac. *LOL*

It's getting late and something in my stomach is right now executing a somersault. I am extremely hungry. Trouble is, I don't feel like cooking. I might just content myself with a few slices of ham. Poor me. And I guess it's gonna be a long night...*yawn*
 
Merci et à bientôt! ^_^ eXTReMe Tracker